Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day - Europe


Today is a holiday in The Netherlands, but it is the Tweede Pinksterdag (the 2nd day of the Pentecost holiday).

For today's photo we go nearly 400 kilometers away from Wassenaar to Luxembourg (the town of Hamm just outside of Luxembourg City). During a recent trip there we stopped to see the American War Cemetery. Among the over five thousand soldiers buried there is General George S. Patton. We also stopped at the German war cemetery which is just over 1km away from the American cemetery.

The history in central western europe is amazing, and there are still many reminders of both world wars to see. We've been to a few and always find them to be quite touching that so many people gave their lives for their countries.

Happy memorial day to our friends in the states!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your description is one of the better ones I have seen today. It is Memorial Day here in the states and while people do attend ceremonies at graveyards throughout the country, it isn't the same as long ago when I was a small boy and people celebrated the same day with a different name. It was then "Decoration Day" and dedicated to all dead -- soldiers and civilians alike.

I have good news:

The three baby robins are on their way to Meet the World. I miss them already. It was quite an emotional experience for me.
Brookville Daily Photo

lv2scpbk said...

Nice photo for us to remember.

Today I give you a Memorial Day tribute.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the history -- I learned something.